Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a condition that affects the digestive system. It leads to pain in the abdomen and changes in the bowel (intestines).
IBS symptoms are different in each person, which includes:
- Bloating (gas)
- Abdominal cramps and pain
- Either diarrhea or constipation
A bowel movement reduces the pain and other symptoms. Symptoms may aggravate when there is any alteration in the frequency of your bowel movements.
There is no apparent reason why IBS is caused; however, bacterial infections or parasitic infections can trigger the goal of treatment to relieve symptoms.
In some cases, lifestyle modifications can help; regular exercise and improved sleep habits may reduce anxiety and help relieve bowel symptoms.
- Blood tests to check for celiac disease or anemia
- Stool examination for occult blood
- Stool cultures to see for an infection
- Microscopic examination of a stool sample for parasites
- Stool examination for A substance called fecal calprotectin.
The following dietary changes may help:
- Avoiding foods (caffeine and tea) and drinks that stimulate the intestines.
- Eating smaller frequent meals
- Increasing fiber in the diet (to improve constipation or diarrhea)
Some medications that help to relieve the symptoms include:
- Anticholinergic medicines to control intestinal muscle spasms.
- Probiotics to improve intestinal health.
- Low doses of tricyclic antidepressants to relieve intestinal pain.
Conquer Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) with a holistic approach, embracing dietary changes, stress management, and medical support. You're not alone; with determination, reclaim comfort and a fulfilling life ahead.